xp pro won't shutdown

pookie 11:03 30 Oct 03

as title says - it won't shutdown either through shutdown or restart. no new software/hardware added. anti virus is up to date. no error messages come up.

any ideas?

Lozzy 11:13 30 Oct 03

PC Spec please and also include BIOS name and version. If you click here this will get all the info required.

pookie 11:33 30 Oct 03

hi lozzy

it's a dell - xp pro version 2002, optiplex gx260 with 2.4 P4 and 256 ram. i've not checked bios name as machine was ok tell recently and no settings have been changed by the user.

Djohn 11:36 30 Oct 03

Which ISP are you using and can you log off that OK?

graham√ 11:43 30 Oct 03

Is this one of the symptoms of Hotfix 811493, by any chance?

pookie 12:08 30 Oct 03

graham - i've checked the machine and that hotfix is not listed under add/remove programs (other hotfixs are). Do you mean that 811493 should be added to solve shutdown issue or that shutdown issue is a result of having 811493 installed?

Djohn 12:11 30 Oct 03

811493 can be a problem, depends on the ISP you are using. j.

pookie 12:26 30 Oct 03

hi Djohn - sorry i wasn't ignoring your reply.

all users are connected via a network. it's not a dial up and if i right click it says 'local area connection speed: 10.0 Mbps' if that helps.

Djohn 12:35 30 Oct 03

And there was I just starting to think you was!
:o( Only joking!

With AOL and Hotfix 811493 on a PC then the shutdown can be affected, and removal of the hotfix cures the problem.

Strange thing is though, several of the recent updates from Microsoft have upset my PC and I've needed to re-install drivers for sound/graphics, and my ISP. This could just be a matter of the up-dates overwriting AOL's settings though. j.

bruno 13:10 30 Oct 03

I had a lot of problems after installing the recent updates and only got my computer back in shape by doing a system restore.My problems were the opposite of yours,I could not hold a connection for more than 2 or 3 minutes.I still have not isolated the faulty one.

pookie 13:37 30 Oct 03

just checked with the user and it's been having shutdown problems for about 1 week. no updates or software were added/deleted to just prior to the problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…