xp pro wont quit

LivEviL 11:19 05 Nov 05

i decided to upgrade from xp home to pro but during the installation somthing went wrong it told me ididnt have enuf space and that the cd was corrupt! so i decided to quit the installation and carry on with xp home

now every time i boot up it goes into xp pro setup mode i have to restart and select xp home how do i get rid of xp pro trying to start its setup?

joseph K 11:32 05 Nov 05

I had exactly the same problems so often that I've swapped the bloated, over-priced Windows System for Suse Linux 9.3 and that's fabulous and trouble free in almost every way.

ACOLYTE 11:38 05 Nov 05

It may have added an entry to the boot.ini file this would need deleting to stop it trying to load xp pro.

LivEviL 11:40 05 Nov 05

and where is that going to be? in my system32 folder?

ACOLYTE 11:42 05 Nov 05

Hmm, i think if you click start run and type msconfig then you can see the boot.ini file there

LivEviL 11:44 05 Nov 05

ok i have found it but cant delete is there another option to do that

ACOLYTE 11:47 05 Nov 05

Im not sure you dont have to delete all the file just the bit that refers to xp pro if its there.
But im not sure how to do that,maybe s1 else could help,srry.

LivEviL 11:47 05 Nov 05

ok cheers for ur help

VoG II 11:50 05 Nov 05
  Joe R 11:54 05 Nov 05

LivEviL,

go to control panel-system-advanced, and clicl on the startup & recovery settings button, then click on edit.

I run XP home, and the settings in this window should read as follows,

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Anything else in this referring to XP pro can be safely deleted, although, i would recommend, copying and pasting this first with notepad, to the desktop.

Also remember to save the new settings.

Joe R 11:55 05 Nov 05

AAh,
beaten to the draw by VoG™ again.! :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…