xp pro -v- xp home

conrail 15:52 03 Jul 06

a friend is having to format his pc but cannot find his installation/recovery disc he received with his pc, I understand he could use somebody else's disc with the installation number from the label on his pc, before I lend him my disc which is XP Pro, his version was XP Home, will my disc and his number still work together?
all help gratefully accepted

ed-0 16:03 03 Jul 06

No.

conrail 16:06 03 Jul 06

thanks ed-0, I thought not but thought I will ask before going ahead, he will have to find someone with the correct version unless he can possibly contact microsoft and see what they say, they should have his details registered with themselves

jz 22:05 03 Jul 06

I'm not even sure if all copies of XP Home will install on another PC. Some are specific to a particular manufacturer (eg Dell). It's annoying, but that's the way it is.

I once had a computer that was pre-installed with Windows XP Home (legal copy) but came with no disk. So when the hard disk went faulty, I had a problem.

woodchip 22:11 03 Jul 06

XP files come from MS not DEl or any other they are all the same

ade.h 22:16 03 Jul 06

OEM CDs can be customised for a particular manufacturer. I think that's what jz is referring to. My HP laptop has a customised copy of XP Pro, with which you get the HP version of Help and Support and a few other changes/additions.

woodchip 22:20 03 Jul 06

The XP CD is the same just some things are left off like extras, and they put there own logo on the CD. I have Medion ones as well as restore disc' for same computers

ade.h 23:07 03 Jul 06

It's a bit more than that in my case, Woodchip. As I said, mine has some of the extra HP software on it - the bits that are really core components as far as the laptop's function is concerned, plus the modified Help section, desktop theme, etc. It all appears after a clean install, apart from some of the other more optional apps which come on the HP DVD.

ed-0 06:26 04 Jul 06

I have a couple of HP's OEM XP home DVD's. They are slightly different to Microsofts commercial OEM disks.

As you say.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…