XP Pro startup problems

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:01 06 Nov 04

History = Friends PC Celeron 50MHz, FIC Motherboard, 8G HDD approx 6 years old. Win ME.

Full of viruses (108)and spyware (653 critical objects). Couldn't get rid of them all at her location so took home. PC wouldn't complete boot, crashing and rebooting constantly.

Decided to reformat and reinstall ME. Still same reformatted and installed XP Pro. Set up users installed Zone alarm and AVG restarted to complete installation crashing and rebooting at the "windows is starting up screen".

Think got a quick flash of "Stop OE000...".Used Recovery consul to remove third party drivers still same. Tried different memory chips and graphics card still same. Only cure reformat and reinstall.
Same as above after switching off and back on again. Have reformatted and reinstalled several times now in aand restarting ok Fat32 win XP pro.

However windows hangs at wlcome screen, ctrl=alt=del gets into windows but time resets itself to January 1601 on every boot have tried another CMOS battery from a good system still same.

Please help as I now have very little hair left,a room full of stripped down computers and an irate wife :0)

david.h 13:04 06 Nov 04

has a virus corrupted the BIOS settings?

VoG II 13:05 06 Nov 04

Right-click on My Computer, click Properties, click the Advanced tab. Under Startup & Recovery click Settings. Under System Failure untick the box in front of Automatically restart.

You should then see the full error message on a BSOD.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:12 06 Nov 04

david.h
Bios settings ok reset after CMOS battery change.

VoG™
No crashing now but am reluctant to change any settings yet. Am using Administrator settings have not set up any users yet. Is this why I need Ctrl+Alt+del to get in off the welcome screen?

VoG II 13:15 06 Nov 04

"Is this why I need Ctrl+Alt+del to get in off the welcome screen?"

I believe that is the default in XP Pro. You can turn this off using Start, Run and entering

control userpasswords2

and untick the option on the Advanced tab.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:36 06 Nov 04

got there after a few misspellings not ticked in secure logon.

Have reset three times now and windows seems to forget its settings each time. Need the ctrl+ alt+del and time reverts to Jan 1601 midnight every time windows starts.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:19 07 Nov 04

Gave up reformatted and reinstalled ME seems to hold date and time in ME ok. Nolonger rebooting on own.

Perhaps 500MHz and 128MB memory not enough for XP Pro regardless of Microsofts claims.

Gongoozler 10:29 07 Nov 04

Hi Fruit Bat /\0/\. I found that 128M memory with XP Pro was troublesome, with the computer freezing for seconds at a time. Upped to 256M and it runs quite sweetly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…