XP pro start up BLUE SCREEN

CDL 01:04 29 Apr 04

I have started to get a blue screen on start up -not every time but....
Sometimes I have to attempt start up 10 times before I get started. Then the machine runs fine.

The gist of the error message contains:- fastfat.sys

I have searched MS KB and following that replaced the fastfat.sys file (copied and pasted from another machine.This has not solved the problem. Next step was to systematically remove/swap the RAM but this didn't solve the problem either.

Next step ??

Thanks, CDL

Forum Editor 01:15 29 Apr 04

indicates a corrupted fastfat.sys file, or a faulty or incorrect RAM module. The fact that the problem has appeared spontaneously (without any hardware additions), and that you've replaced the file with a known good version leads me to think that a RAM module has failed. You say that you systematically removed the installed RAM - did the stop error repeat when you only had one module installed? Are the modules properly seated in their slots? I'm sure you've checked this, but it's worth mentioning.

CDL 01:23 29 Apr 04

Thanks Ed !

I'll double check those modules - I thought that there might be some other cause that I have missed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…