XP Pro, slowing down, sluggish, hanging apps

Brian-336451 10:44 05 Apr 05

I've been plagued with the above for some time. I've done all the spyware/virus stuff etc etc and have the cleanest and most defragged computer that ever lived :-)

I've been monitoring the Task Manager on Start Up which takes over 5 minutes before the computer is useable and note the 100% CPU usage for minutes on end.

I'm running a 1.5GHz Centrino with 1Gb RAM and an 80Gb hard drive partitioned into 4.

I noted CISVC.EXE using prodigious amounts of RAM and CPU.

This is NOT malware it's MS's own software that monitors the Indexing Service (apparently it's supposed to stop the Indexing Service hogging resources - rich that huh?).

Since I don't use XP's indexing service, I've disabled it in Admin/Services and now my machine runs like greased weasel pooh

So anyone else can look at this and see if it sorts their problem.

Turning it off causes no damage, nothing is deleted and can be put back 'where you found it' if it's not your problem.

It's taken me months to find this, so I hope posting it here might help someone else with no hair left too.

Brian-336451 13:10 05 Apr 05

Bump

matt1234 13:41 05 Apr 05

well if you disabled it, and it runs crap turn it back on!!!!

Also laptop hard drives are not verfast and parttioning it into 4, has really probaly slowed it down.Trust me i tried it to a 80gb one and it was terrible!!!

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:50 05 Apr 05
  Brian-336451 23:03 05 Apr 05

I found that article when I was looking this service up.

The machine is still doing well with Indexing turned off.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…