XP Pro slideshow stopped working

jondavrob 18:44 22 Aug 08

Hi
My slide show has stopped working, also all our photo icons when a folder is opened show the paintshop pro symbol and not the photo ( icons are set to minatures ), bit tricky for us as we are an estate agents with 8GB of property photos.
We did have a virus attack in an e-mail today and I guess that has had something to do with it.
I have re-installed paint shop pro, ran spybot and our antivirus. Any clues anyone?

brundle 18:48 22 Aug 08

Are the pics actually there, not just shortcuts or damaged? Right click on one of them and select Properties.
Have you got them backed up somewhere?

jondavrob 18:54 22 Aug 08

The pictures are there and you can open them as normal, we do regular backups just in case. It seems the problem is with the icons. For each property I take about 40 photos and then select several for our website, technical sheets etc, selecting the folder i used to be able to see the smaller version but now I just have the PPS logo. It is virtually impossible now without opening all of the photos with paint shop to do anything.

woodchip 18:55 22 Aug 08

Have you just loaded paintshop pro? if so thats what as done it

jondavrob 18:57 22 Aug 08

No I've had it for years and never had a problem before.

chub_tor 18:57 22 Aug 08

Have you tried a System Restore to before the virus attack? You will lose any programmes installed after the restore date but your data will still be intact.

Eric10 19:00 22 Aug 08

If you mean the slide show available in Windows Picture and Fax Viewer then right-click one of your photo icons and choose Open With from the menu. Click "Choose program..." then select "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer" from the list. Tick the box labeled "Always use the selected program to open this type of file" then click OK. Now Windows Picture and Fax Viewer will open when a picture is double-clicked and you should be able to run the slide show.
It's important to go through the Choose Program option or you won't get the tick box to set this as the default program.

brundle 19:01 22 Aug 08

It's just reset icons - there ought to be an option to generate thumbnails in PPS. Or try this; click here

jondavrob 19:09 22 Aug 08

I'll try the above and let you know. The photos are stored on our server and they work fine on the other pc's we have, its just the one that was attacked that there is a problem. Think we'll sack the person who opened the dodgy e-mail!

brundle 19:14 22 Aug 08

Eric10's answer is more germaine to the issue - mine won't help with your original problem.

jack 20:14 22 Aug 08

Right click on any image icon.
Click on properties
View as - now showing Paint Shop Pro select your preferred viewer, close the window.

All images will now show in your preferred viewer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…