Xp Pro shutting down.

maanse 14:19 06 Aug 05

I tried downloading a shockwave plugin from the macromedia website and my pc shutdown during the installation process.

Now every time i try to start it up it shuts down just as the desktop loads. I doesnt even restart its self it just powers off, the only way to get it come back on is to unplug the kettle lead from the back of the PSU and plug it back in, then it shuts down again on desktop.

It seems to work fine in safe mode but it shuts down if i try to reinstall windows.

Any ideas??

Have you tried to restore to an earlier time in safe mode?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:44 06 Aug 05

Can you Boot into safe mode?

if so then

Right click [My Computer] click [Properties] and select [Advanced] tab.
Click the [Settings] button in the [Startup and Recovery] section.
Remove the checkmark from [Automatically Restart] in [System Failure] section.

Startup and Recovery Options: By default, XP is configured that when a system failure is encountered the system automatically restarts. This behavior may at times be desirable, especially if a system is unattended and and a reboot is necessary to restore a system to operation. Unfortunately, it also makes it very difficult if not impossible for a user to read the messages that are presented that may provide clues to a shutdown problem.

Do you see an error message now when you reboot?

maanse 18:10 06 Aug 05

If I try to restore to a previous setting it still has the same problem.

Also the "restart on failure" option is alredy de-selected.

Joe R 18:15 06 Aug 05

can you try booting to the safe mode with command prompt, and enter the command " C:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe" (without the inverted comma's), and press enter.

maanse 22:25 08 Aug 05

I seemed to have generated an error stopping me starting winds (safe mode or not).

So i decided to format and start again. On installing windows it still kept shutting down randomly. so i whipped the side off checked how hot it was in there and my processor was pretty damn hot.

So i tried lowering the processor power down from 133Mhz to 130Mhz and so far its stayed on for 2 days.

So am i right to assume that the problem is caused by my processor over heating??

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:40 08 Aug 05

Certainly sounds like it if it has stayed on for 2 days.

You could always fit another case fan to help cool your PC

maanse 22:46 08 Aug 05

Well im toying with the idea of a water cooling kit for the proc but i will certainly try adding more fans.

I like the look of the Zalman Reserator 1 plus.

Any one got one or know if there any good?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…