XP Pro Service Pack2 needed to finish installation

Sparkly 19:07 30 Sep 10

Hi doing a reinstallation of XP Media Centre Edition and its going through the install fine when it now asks for the XP Pro Service Pack 2 Disc (dont have) i have looked around the Microsoft website but not sure if i have the right one can anyone point me in the direction of the download page.
Many thanks.

northumbria61 20:16 30 Sep 10

The support for your product ended July 13, 2010! To ensure that you will receive all important security updates for Windows you need to upgrade to Windows XP with Service Pack 3 (SP3)

You can download Service Pack 3 from here - under heading "Service Packs" - make sure you choose the right one for XP. click here

Sparkly 20:33 30 Sep 10

Thanks northumbria61 i have XP3 SP3 on disc that i had useing on XP Home reinstallations, Is this disc workable on Home and Pro.
Thanks for the reply

woodchip 20:39 30 Sep 10

I would think its the same, it will only load files that it knows that fits. If not it will spit at you saying the CD is no good

northumbria61 20:41 30 Sep 10

I agree with woodchip.

mgmcc 20:44 30 Sep 10

Service Pack 2 for XP click here

Service Pack 3 for XP click here

As already mentioned, you should install SP3 but, if you *need* to install SP2 first to complete your installation, use the file from the link above. It is the same file as the one that Microsoft put on the SP2 CD they issued. Then install SP3.

Sparkly 22:39 30 Sep 10

Hi all
woodchip,northumbria61 thanks and mgmcc thanks for the links appreciated, will let you know how it all goes.

Sparkly 13:24 01 Oct 10

Hi mgmcc thanks for the links, downloaded SP2 and it installed fine but as yet it has not asked for the last disc, this is how the installation went.
Inserted XP Media Edition 2005 disc 1 installed and the asked me to insert the XP Media Edition 2005 disc 2 installed then asked me to insert the disc named XP Pro SP2 which i did not have so had to click cancel on the box looking at drive (G),so disc number 3 never installed.Windows loads up fine but doesent look right with the theme it is in the old grey colour around the boxes and in the start menu, i thought i would look into properties(right click screen) and there is only windows classic,or my current theme no XP themes at all there, allso under the Desktop tab no XP background is listed but the others are, do you think i will have to reinstall again or can a repair of the OS be done?

mgmcc 16:57 01 Oct 10

Have a look at this page click here with instructions for installing XP Media Center Edition. I have no experience of installing XP MCE (only XP Home & Pro), but the tutorial is suggesting that, when prompted for the "Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 CD" you place the Windows XP Media Center Edition CD1 in the drive and click OK to continue. It may be that SP2 is already incorporated in the first CD.

It does seem that your installation is incomplete if the XP theme isn't available.

Sparkly 18:20 01 Oct 10

Hi again mgmcc thanks for the link to the installation directions, i had everything upto when i was asked to insert the disc named XP Pro SP2 then i had to cancel went into part 6 but never got th Wrlcome to M/S windows and thankyou for purchaseing, allthough Xp loads instead of my name it is Administrator Account in control panel there are two accounts Administrator Account and Guest,
Im thinking maybe to start from scratch again now as i have the XP Pro Service Pack 2 Disc.
Thanks again.

Sparkly 07:58 05 Oct 10

Hi all finally managed to get all up and running after a few installation probs but were there, just a thankyou to northumbria61,woodchip,and mgmcc for the links.
S.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…