XP pro, service pack will not install

Ray5776 19:20 12 Sep 07

Hi, starting afresh on another PC, ie format HDD install XP pro from CD.
OK so far, O/S up and running next step is service pack2 but it will not install. Says something like product key not valid?

Ray

Clapton is God 19:24 12 Sep 07

"starting afresh on another PC"

If the XP CD is an OEM version it is only valid for the PC on which it was originally installed.

Thus, the installation (and product key) will be invalid on a new PC

dan* 19:42 12 Sep 07

Is this the computer that you have had lots of trouble with lately or is it another one.

How are you installing SP2 i.e. via disk or downloads.

Is it a valid XP disk or one that has already been registered.

Ray5776 20:21 12 Sep 07

Ok Eric is God, yeah I like him too.
It has worked on the machine that I refer to fine until recently, probably for 2-3 years with the sp2 and getting the upgrades etc. Now I have re-installed the O/S won`t load the SP2, puzzled.
Ray

Dan, yes I have had lots of trouble with it recently,
hence the start afresh idea.
Trying to load the sp2 from a gen msoft sp2 disk.
Not tried downloading yet as I want to set up just the O/s with SP before network connections etc.

Ray

harps1h 21:26 12 Sep 07

if it is genuine software contact microsoft about the key. they maybe able to help

bgrave 21:40 12 Sep 07

This happened to me when I wanted to upgrade from Win Me. I like you formatted the drive I got the same result as you. I had ro re install Win Me then put the XP Cd in and let it work it out it self, and it worked.

Ray5776 21:59 12 Sep 07

bgrave, sounds familiar but the O/S has installed OK it is just the SP2 that wont instal.

X7-250,
Not online yet on the other one, just 2CD`s that worked before with no net connection.

Ray

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…