XP pro seems to take an age to boot up

johnnyrocker 19:03 PM 05 Sep 12

the other night i inadvertantly switched machine off while shutting down, the nex night it would not boot past desktop whih i resolved with system restore, but since then it seems to take much longer to boot,

any ideas or have i done some damage? XP pro sp3

rdave13 19:22 PM 05 Sep 12

If you have an XP pro SP3 disc, try running the system file checker, click here for info.

johnnyrocker 19:27 PM 05 Sep 12

forgot about that thanks will try tonight

johnny

woodchip 20:29 PM 05 Sep 12

May be you loaded Some startup Programs that had been disabled from Starting

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:36 PM 05 Sep 12

system restore should have sorted the system files so would not expect to get much from sfc

Agree with woodchip look at your startup programs using CCleaner - tools -startup

and get rid of any unnecessary ones.

Secret-Squirrel 08:22 AM 06 Sep 12

" i inadvertantly switched machine off while shutting down.... but since then it seems to take much longer to boot"

When Windows is shutdown abruptly like that, file corruption can occur so it may help if you did a disk check.

If you need step-by-step instructions then just ask.

johnnyrocker 21:00 PM 06 Sep 12

as fruitbat said the sfc did not produce anything, and i doubt i downloaded anything but thank you anyway

johnny

johnnyrocker 21:04 PM 06 Sep 12

as fruitbat said the sfc did not produce anything, and i doubt i downloaded anything but thank you anyway, help on diskcheck would be an idear

johnny

Secret-Squirrel 21:22 PM 06 Sep 12

"help on diskcheck would be an idear"

Assuming that XP is installed on the C: drive (which it nearly always is) then here's what you need to do:

Open "My Computer", right-click the C: drive icon, choose "Properties", click the "Tools" tab then the "Check Now" button. Tick the top box then click the "Start" button. Answer "Yes" when prompted if you want to schedule the check for the next reboot then restart your PC. The disk check should start automatically. When it's finished the PC will restart normally.

johnnyrocker 22:09 PM 06 Sep 12

my thanks for that it is scheduled for tomorrow

johnny

johnnyrocker 12:22 PM 07 Sep 12

it went through chkdisk and did not appear to find anything, still takes 7 mins to boot on from desktop

johnny

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Sony Xperia Z5 launch live: Sony Xperia Z5 live video stream from IFA 2015 - watch…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Google's new logo was redesigned

What to expect at the September Apple event: Apple announces 9 September event, sends out invites