XP Pro & SB Live problem

corc2 16:21 03 Jul 04

I have tried to install my old SB Live Player 1024 on my friends computer as he did not have a soundcard installed. The card worked perfectly on my XP Home PC but he has XP Pro and it has been a nightmare.
On Sounds/Audio Devices in control panel, his audio device is listed as a modem - even though there is no modem installed now. Each time it is uninstalled, XP reloads the drivers for the modem. I have downloaded the latest XP drivers for SB Live but near the end of the installation, Windows asks for drivers on the XP disc which he does not have. I have pointed it to the windows folder on the Hard drive but it can't find them there.
We tried moving to diff PCI slot uninstalling and reinstalling. Everytime windows restarts, the new device wizard runs but everytime it can't find drivers in any location we point it to.
I have also disabled onboard sound and modem in bios set up.
I believe a full re-installation and an Audigy soundcard are the only things he can do to get sound back on his computer, but can anyone give any more advice?
Athlon XP 2000, XP Pro, 128MB graphics, ECS K7S5A Mobo

Stuartli 16:58 03 Jul 04

Windows XP already includes the Live drivers.

I have the SoundBlaster Live! Value sound card and XP Pro - both work happily with each other.

dfghjkl 01:32 04 Jul 04

me too

corc2 11:12 04 Jul 04

Good reply dfghjkl....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…