XP PRO running slow then crashes

dcnewton 11:06 15 Jan 05

I built my father a PC for christmas and when i loaded xp pro on it was fine, then i put office 2003 on, stil fine, then i put norton internet security on and the virus protection didn't load properly, i was short on time so to ensure protection i put on panda titanium internet security.
now when the system loads up you can't do anything without it crashing.

is it a simple case that the hard drive needs formating or is there something else that can be done?

JonnyTub 11:07 15 Jan 05

did you remove norton before installing panda?

dcnewton 11:12 15 Jan 05

er no, i know i should have done, but i didn't.

sattman 11:17 15 Jan 05

There are known issues if you have two anti virus programmes installed. Whichever you decide to remove ensure that it is removed completely. Norton does not always clean uninstall and you should read the Symantec guidance notes if removing it.

Kegger 11:18 15 Jan 05

Hi DCnewton,
when you say you built your dad a Pc for Xmas, did you use new items of hardware or second hand items? i agree with jonnytub that i would have unistalled norton first before putting Panda on, however i don't think that it should crash XP. can you give me a few more details on the build and exactly what you have installed etc and i will attempt to help you

dcnewton 11:19 15 Jan 05

any ideas on how i could uninstall it without using windows or does xp pro have a "safe mode" as it won't load properly in normal mode?

JonnyTub 11:20 15 Jan 05

It's highly likely that the two programmes are conflicting, firstly remove norton using their guidelines and any removal tools they have and then see where your at with it.

VoG II 11:20 15 Jan 05
  JonnyTub 11:20 15 Jan 05

xp safe mode: switch the pc on and keep tapping f8 to give you the option of starting in safe mode

dcnewton 11:26 15 Jan 05

KEGGER - The pc is built of all new parts, brief spec:
AMD 1700 Athlon
512MB DDR400 by Crucial
80GB Maxtor 7200 HD
550W PSU
ASUS MB
XP PRO
OFFICE 2003
Norton internet security
only other software are drivers for printer etc.

I know it was really dumb, i would have unistalled it at any other time - obviously a blonde moment.

dcnewton 12:07 15 Jan 05

THANK YOU PEOPLE.

Just made a phone call to my father (i am currently at work) we managed to boot into safemode and uninstalled panda.

All ok now, thanks for your help.

other forums have been thinking about this for 3 weeks!!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…