XP Pro recovery console and admin password

Chris Webster 21:15 19 Mar 06

Hi,

Yet another question from me lol.

I am trying to repair an XP Pro installation using the recovery console. When I press 'R' to repair it asks me for an admin password. A password has NEVER previously been set. Any ideas please.

Cheers Chris.

ade.h 21:17 19 Mar 06

The Administrator account password is blank by default.

VoG II 21:19 19 Mar 06

Press Enter.

Chris Webster 21:24 19 Mar 06

ade.h, VoG™,

I tried pressing enter but it just came up 'please enter password', or words to that effect.

Cheers Chris.

Chris Webster 21:27 19 Mar 06

When I first pressed 'R' to repair it asked which installation I wanted to repair. The next line said something like 1 c:/windows, so I entered the number 1, then the admin p/word thing came up. I take it that entering number 1 is correct?

Cheers Chris.

ade.h 21:29 19 Mar 06

Then it's likely that one has in fact been set at some time or another.

I assume that you are running the RC because it won't boot even into Safe Mode, so I won't suggest trying to access the Admin account in order to test the blank password theory.

Chris Webster 21:35 19 Mar 06

ade.h,

Safe mode is the ONLY thing it will boot too. Something has been deleted, and I don't know what, that is stopping windows booting into anything other than safe mode. I originally reinstalled xp pro on the computer about 6 months ago and didn't use any passwords.

Cheers Chris.

phono 21:38 19 Mar 06

Have you tried using sfc /scannow ? Make sure you have the XP install CD-ROM to hand.

Chris Webster 21:41 19 Mar 06

phono,

I booted into safe mode, clicked 'run' and typed in sfc /scannow and all that happened was a small black window flashed up for a second or two and that was it.

phono 21:42 19 Mar 06

There is some useful information here click here to reset a forgotten administrator password, just be careful what you are doing.

ed-0 21:43 19 Mar 06

Then try what ade.h was suggesting.

Boot to safe mode. then control panel > computer administrator > choose password. use this pass word.

If this fails, do the same and set up an account for yourself. Make yourself an administrator and pick a password. Now use the recovery consol.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…