XP Pro rebooting or freezing

Chegs ® 12:42 04 Apr 05

My daughters PC has been happily chuntering away 24/7 for months,but today she went to fire up M$ Word and the PC reset itself.After the OS had finished a disc check,it froze before the desktop had loaded.Then(having reset it again)the disc check finishes and it resets itself again.

I tried "Safe Mode" but it just stopped responding at "Mup.sys" even leaving it for an hour.Last known good,produces the disc check/reset cycle again.

It has had no new hardware/software installed recently,the CPU is still at 40C,so its not a heat issue.I am about to try SFC(if I could get it to desktop)Repair,etc but just wondered if anyone had a suggestion to get it to desktop as its not got internet access yet to reload all the updates after running "Repair"

Chegs ® 14:27 04 Apr 05

I have run the "Repair" option(as the Fraggle was itching to be at the puter)which fixed whatever was wrong with it.Right after it had finished and booted back to a desktop,the Fraggle disappeared with her friends and the PC isn't wanted....Sigh,flippin' kids. :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…