XP Pro - re-install

celticbhoy0 14:17 20 Sep 05

How often should I be re-installing windows XP Pro, the system is getting very sluggish. I regularly use anti spyware software, have an upto date security suite, I think its just the amount of drivers & progs automatically running at startup, although hard disk can sometimews take a min to kick in. If I re-install is there any way to keep apps I use & user docs without reformatting hard disk ????

stylehurst 14:20 20 Sep 05

As a first step before going down the avenue of a re-install why not reduce the amount of programs starting at start up. You can do this by running msconfig.

celticbhoy0 14:28 20 Sep 05

Most seem to be part of McAfee, some of the rest I dont know what they are and I dont want to bugger it up

rawprawn 14:35 20 Sep 05

Open Spybot in Advanced Mode and click on Tools, then click on System Startup. Open the Right hand side panel by clickng on the 2 arrows shown on the extreme right. Then if you highlight any program it will show you what it is, you can then decide whether it is needed at start up. There is no reason to keep reinstalling XP.

Stuartli 15:51 20 Sep 05

An XP Repair is much more simple in any case and retains all your programs, applications, configuration etc.

celticbhoy0 16:15 20 Sep 05

how do you repair

ventanas 16:23 20 Sep 05

Boot with your XP cd, but dp not get confused with the repair options. At the Welcome screen DO NOT choose the option to repair your installation using the Recovery Console. Instead press Enter, which starts Windows Setup. Accept the licence agreement and Windows will search for your current installations. Select your installation and press R to start the repair. Although the process resembles in many ways a clean installation, when finished your system files will be refreshed and existing data and settings should be untouched.

celticbhoy0 16:50 20 Sep 05

just tried it but its asking to delete previous version, and says it will wipe all user accounts etc, should I continue or have I done something wrong

celticbhoy0 18:16 20 Sep 05

only time I get to select 'R' is for recovery console, any ideas

VoG II 18:19 20 Sep 05
  celticbhoy0 21:56 20 Sep 05

setup doesnt find old installation and offer to fix just warns me about installing two OS on one partition

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…