xp pro random freeze

johnnyrocker 19:51 03 Sep 05

case 32 cpu 41 temp i keep getting a total freeze 2-3 times an evening reboot resolves when i look in event viewer under applications i find pctspk with a red circle and white cross indicating error when i try to find more about it viewer gives me this error,,

Event Type: Error
Event Source: PctSpk
Event Category: None
Event ID: 0
Date: 03/09/2005
Time: 19:38:51
User: N/A
Computer: STEVES
Description:
The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( PctSpk ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: PctSpk error: 1063, StartServiceCtrlDispatcher failed..

i did a check on whatis.com and it directed me to a post saying it is some form of modem tool but i am connected via usb to ethernet connection on a stb

johnny.

howard60 21:19 03 Sep 05

I would run all the virus/trojans/spyware thingys and see if that solves it.

johnnyrocker 21:37 03 Sep 05

got them all no change.

johnny.

rubella 00:50 04 Sep 05

curious click here

johnnyrocker 00:56 04 Sep 05

it is now late/early in the day and i shall have a look and thank you for your suggestion and good night to all

jphnny

rubella 02:05 04 Sep 05

johnnyrocker

g-nite / mornin'

Thought I’d poke about a little more.

Perhaps tagging your problem to a modem per se could be premature. The trail I’ve followed goes:

“pctspk.exe is a diagnostic program for PCTel modems.”

“PCtel does not manufacture modems. They make chipsets and sell them to other companies.” click here

“PCTel makes chipsets for other modem manufacturers usually. Zoltrix, Shark Multimedia, Commwave, Phoebe Micro, Eiger Labs, Echo Communications, Hawking Technology, Micromodem and Speedstatic(manufacturer without a webpage) use a number of PCTEL HSP modems with 33.6 and 56k (Flex and V.90) HSP varieties.” click here

So I’m now wondering whether your kit could have a Pctel chipset up it.

jimv7 09:54 04 Sep 05
  johnnyrocker 10:30 04 Sep 05

morning folks
rubella my processor (if that is what you mean?) is an amd
jimv7 thanks for that tip i shall look a bit closer at the suggestions there, trouble is it will be a whilr before i know (if at all )what the cure was/is

johnny.

rubella 14:32 04 Sep 05

johnny, saluté

No, that’s not want I meant. Sorry, it was late, and I was probably ambiguous.

Sum:

Your own investigation seemed to implicate a modem, baffling when “i am connected via usb to ethernet connection on a stb”.

The first link I found, the same one jimv7 just dug up, also seems to implicate a modem.

To resolve the apparent contradiction it struck me, given that PCtel is more of a chipset vendor than a modem manufacturer, that your net connection is using something with a PCtel chipset inside it. That might explain how come you appear to have pctspk.exe, a diagnostic program for PCTel modems, without having a PCTel modem as such.

I’m certainly on a bit of a guess with this, but in lieu of anything else…

regards

jimv7 15:45 04 Sep 05

Of course, if your on broadband, you can uninstall the modem drivers and remove the modem from the computer, at least that should then stop xp from freezing.

Also, right click 'my computer' advanced/start up and recovery/settings/untick the box, automatically restart.

johnnyrocker 16:17 04 Sep 05

thanks for that the pc does not restart on its own it will just hang sometimes with a popping noise or a rushing noise and other times just sits there til i select reset.

johnny.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…