xp pro pc file sharing

campgroundaddy 17:37 27 Sep 09

Howdy -

i have a home network: 3 pcs and trying to add the 4th one.
2 pcs are running xp, 1 is running vista.
all on ethernet hard wired network. all have static ip address. all have shared drives/printers. all work great!

added 4th pc - xp pro.
the system can see the other pcs, drives and printers. it can access them. the other pcs cannot see the drives on the xp pro unit. but it is in the network connection view. it gives me an error message saying i don't have permission to use the drive.

i have tried - taking simple sharing off xp pro, using permissions manually, but still nothing. what am i doing wrong? it should be cake.. but right now it is more like devil's food.. hahaha.
thanks for any thoughts you can give.

Tom

mgmcc 11:15 29 Sep 09

Leave the XP Pro PC using "Simple File Sharing" and ensure that any firewall software is configured to allow access to the other computers in the network.

The error message is an unhelpful generic message that Windows displays whenever a computer is inaccessible over the network. If you still cannot access the XP Pro PC, try typing the path to it directly into the address bar in "My Network Places" using the format:

\\computer_name

\\computer_name\shared_folder

dawood 15:04 29 Sep 09

Ensure you enabled simple file sharing click here correctly, and also make sure there is no firewall blocking (Windows firewall, antivirus firewall, etc) on this xp pro pc. You can ping this xp pro pc from other pc and try to use the commands suggested by mgmcc. Hope it helps.

campgroundaddy 16:26 29 Sep 09

thanks for your help so far.

it is still not working. i still can see the other folders from all other machines, and still see the server icon in the network places, but cannot access anything at all.

putting in the address: \\server
did not help. still says it is denied.
i can ping the computer with dos command. returns 4 values all great in zero seconds.

i have simple file sharing turned on and am using it. i have taken off every folder that was shared and just created 1 folder under c drive called Tom. i have shared that file with the shared name of SeverTom.

I have turned off all firewalls on the server.

this really has me baffled. i think maybe deleting the lan connection and starting again would work, but, as you know, i cannot delete the thing. hmmmmmm

i have tried a new connection saying that there was not an internet connection on the network. hoping that that would resolve any firewall issues.

ok, anyone got a block of cement? i have a rope and a pond. hahaha

mgmcc 19:14 29 Sep 09

In order to access shared folders in the remote XP PC, you may need to be logged in to the local computer using an Account that has an identical Username & Password to that in XP Pro.

For more detail on this click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…