xp pro partitions

sunny staines 16:28 27 May 05

I have my hard drive split in three partitions and want to delete one empty partition and enlarge the other two using disk management tool in xp pro.

now the question will enlarging the partition's destroy info on them like fdisk or will i be OK. I know patition magic 8 does the job but my version is pre windows xp and no longer useful.

dan11 16:53 27 May 05

"I have my hard drive split in three partitions and want to delete one empty partition and enlarge the other two using disk management tool in xp pro."

So for arguments sake you have your hard drive split with "C" + "D" + "E". "E" has no data but you want to merge the blank space "E" with "C" + "D"

No you can not do this with disk management as you are trying to alter the size of "C", it will not let you do this. This drive holds the operating system and windows will not allow you to change it.

Do you want to merge it with "D", it will let you do that, so the "D" drive is larger. You would have to move the data off "D" before you merged ( "C" will do if it has the space) and then you would have to delete the partitions of "D" and "E" and then rebuild them as one. You could then transfer the data back to the new enlarged "D" drive.

sunny staines 17:00 27 May 05

you answer was very clear, I am now glad I asked first otherwise I might have made a mess of my data.

The reason for the change [ I am getting a dvd rw and it apparently needs 9gb of free space to burn disks]

sunny staines 17:03 27 May 05

thankyou

dan11 21:37 27 May 05

Pleased it has given you some idea of what you can or can not do.

" The reason for the change [ I am getting a dvd rw and it apparently needs 9gb of free space to burn disks] "

Do you intend burning image files first, before you burn to disk? Thats all I can think of.

If you were to let us know the total size of the hard drive and what size the partitions are on "C" + "D" + "E". Also we would have to know what space has been used on each partition. Then it may be possible to create the 9Gb you need.

Thats if you are still interested.;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…