XP pro P2P network Help

Wrinkles 12:56 08 Oct 04

Hi oh! fountains of wisdom.

I do not normally use XP but have some networking experience with W98.
Problem. Two PC's (2.2G) running XP pro. PC1 has broadband connection via USB modem. My Sis want to run per 2 peer network and internet sharing. Fairly straightforward I thought.
NIC's installed, Xover cable connects the two. Ran network setup. Nothing. Delved into the unknown of XP and eventually after many tweaks etc. PC1 can see PC2 but can not access it. (Access denied mssg) pinging the IP address of PC2 returns from a different IP address, I assume this to be the "alternate IPA" available in XP. I have a 4 port hub available if required but would prefer straight Xover cable connection if possible.
Your task gentlemen (and Ladies) should you accept it, is to point me to a step by step (idiots) guide to setting up the network or talk me through it here. I did the standard things ie setting up with admin rights, activated guest account(s)tried static IP's and many other.
One thing that eluded me was how to activate DHCP.
Both systems now returned to their original state and awaiting your input for which I offer my thanks in advance. As you have never failed me yet.

Wrinkles 13:33 08 Oct 04

No takers, come come people don't be shy

mgmcc 15:43 08 Oct 04

In the 'host' PC (with the internet connection) set up "Internet Connection Sharing". In the Network Connections folder, right click the internet connection, select Properties and then the Advanced tab. Tick the box "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection".

This should automatically configure the "Local Area Connection" with the fixed IP address 192.168.0.1 and subnet 255.255.255.0 It also enables the 'host' computer as a DHCP server to allocate IP, Subnet, DNS and Gateway addresses to the 'client' PC, which should have its Local Area Connection set to get IP and DNS addresses automatically.

Firewalls need to be configured to allow access in the "trusted" zone to the IP addresses of the networked PCs.

...and that should be it!

Wrinkles 18:46 08 Oct 04

Many thanks mgmgc, I will give it a try any let you know if it works.

Wrinkles 13:34 23 Oct 04

Thanks mgmgc

Sorry it took so long to get back to this, However
I tried what you suggested and at first it did not work however I eventually uninstalled the NIC's, to check them, they were OK, re-installed, followed your instructions again and success, partly at least, Both are on the internet and the 2nd PC sees the host, host does not see other PC. however No probs the internet was the main requirement.

MAny thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…