XP Pro OEM validation problem

Spark6 19:48 03 Sep 09

Novatech Isys EX desktop purchased March this year together with OEM XP Pro SP3 DVD.

I have had problems uninstalling a Visioneer scanner, unable to get rid of all the software, so did a clean install. The product key, which I used successfully in March, is now not recognised as valid. Telephone call to Novatech, as recommended by the Microsoft female telephone zombie, was a complete waste of time and money. The Technician's suggestion was to use a magnifying glass to ensure my reading of the key was correct!!!

What I need for tomorrow is a telephone number that enables me to speak to someone at MS regarding this problem, preferably in the UK.

birdface 20:24 03 Sep 09

click here see if any of those help.

interzone55 20:28 03 Sep 09

OEM licensing is the responsibility of the reseller, not Microsoft.You need to take it up with Novatech.

Have you tried re-entering the key as suggested, often the solutions that you completely dismiss are the correct ones, but you're too embarrassed to admit it...

Spark6 21:03 03 Sep 09

I'll close this thread now and call into Novatech's Bristol depot tomorrow. I have read and re-read the key, together with the entry on the screen, so many times it is not true. Embarrassment doesn't come into it.

Spark6 11:41 04 Sep 09

I have arranged to drop the computer, together with the XP disc, into Novatech and they will reset the key. Here's hoping.

interzone55 15:32 04 Sep 09

Did you ever get the motherboard changed? This would normally cause the original key to be rejected...

johndrew 15:47 04 Sep 09

When you get the PC up and running, why not make a copy of the wpa.dbl file in its uncompressed state or a backup of the OS from which you can re-install it if necessary.

That way you will be able to activate without the need to go to MS if you need to.

Spark6 20:07 04 Sep 09

No motherboard changes. I have a feeling that my attempt to dual-boot 7-RC modified the bios, what do you think?

I have a validated Acronis image of the drive but have not used it because it would include the Visioneer software that was causing me grief in the first place.

As said earlier, Novatech are going to sort me out on Monday,fortunately I live close to their Bristol outlet. Thankyou for taking an interest in this thread.

johndrew 09:46 05 Sep 09

If you did decide to try the Acronis route you can select which files to restore using ATI and not install the Visioneer software.

You may also consider using a Registry backup like ERUNT click here which would also help.

Spark6 10:04 05 Sep 09

I'm not sure that your suggestion re Visioneer files would work in this instance. To remove the software completely can sometimes involve manually editing the registry. Something I don't fancy!

Spark6 19:48 05 Sep 09

Dropped computer off at Novatech's Portishead store at 9.30 this morning, telephone call at 2.30 this afternoon to say it was ready for collection. First class service :-))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…