XP Pro now hangs on shutdown

phoenix42 20:32 28 May 07

After a long long time my system seems to be getting a little tired.Am using only 25% of total capacity of H.D. On normal close-down or re-start, I am informed that computer is 'logging off ' closing down' then everthing just freezes , can't do a thing only manually switch off.
Tried advice using ' "XP Annoyances" and registry approach re shutdown problems, but no joy.
Would greatly appreciate any forthcoming help Many thanks .

VoG II 20:40 28 May 07

click here may help.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:43 28 May 07

Shutdown problems
click here
click here
click here

phoenix42 10:06 29 May 07

Gentlemen, VoG and Fruit Bat/\O\, many thanks for your prompt replies, and suggestions. Need a little time to augment the proposals , but please be assured that I will most certainly look into all,and get back to you accordingly, Thank You both ..Best wishes Phoenix42

phoenix42 14:44 30 May 07

hello Again VoG and Fruit Bat/\O/\, hope you dont mind the collective reply,but since my last remarks, have really been thru' the possible fixes and suggestions from the very useful sites you offered, but little seemed to change things..Having checked the file record on my computer, I discovered that there were in fact four files classed as 'unreadable'
did a 'defrag' no different.so as a somewhat drastic measure decided to 'repair' from my XP Pro installation disc..--after 'firing up',things seem fairly O.K, a little slow on startup-and shutdown but at least it appears to work..will have to see how it goes.. May I offer my sincere thanks to you both for your help and suggestions.Best wishes phoenix42

recap 14:52 30 May 07

phoenix42, check in the event viewer in Administrative Tools from the control panel for any errors in the system logs, or Application logs that may be causing the slow shut down. click here and enter the event id and source to see if there is a workaround.

phoenix42 19:41 31 May 07

Hello recap, thanks for your input re the Event viewer, must confess, this is the sort of thing on viewing , that baffles me.I see red crosses and warnings dotted about ,check properties on each item highlighted, make a note , and now I suppose will cross-check on the site info you kindly supplied I must also admit to being 'naive' in computer parlance, but in my dotage, I can but try and learn..Again my thanks for your interest

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017