Xp pro network trouble

jonmaine 18:14 13 Jan 04

I have a small home network of 5 machines (lots of kids)with a printer on one machine. This machine only sees two of the others and fails to access the information saying access is denied.
The machine controlling the printer is not accessable at all from the others, saying access is denied.
On that machine the network seems to hang too at times.
Do I have to do a clean re install to get over this? or can I just overlay a new network instalation. i have tried the network wizard but that did not help.
Any ideas?

spikeychris 20:00 13 Jan 04

"Any ideas" yeah. How are they networked? what operating systems are they using? Which two can "this" machine see? What is "this machine" Has it ever worked? What machine is controlling the printer?....to name but a few....

-Beb- 20:15 13 Jan 04

Try disabling any sort of firewall you have, this may solve the problem as the firewall tends to prevent access to shared network items. If this is the case then all you need to do is to configure your firewall to permit the IP range that the computersare in

Pikachu 20:16 13 Jan 04

I had similar issues when I was networking my two machines which both had Windows XP Pro on and found that the windows xp firewall seem to conflict the configuration, so I disabled that. If you have another firewall such as PC Cillin, Norton, etc you will need to tell it what Computer IP's can talk to each other. You probably better of disabling the firewall until you get your network configured. I hope this somehow helps. As spikeychris said you'll need to provide more information

spikeychris 20:21 13 Jan 04

A lot more. This isn't a P2P network.

spikeychris 20:28 13 Jan 04

ßéLâ, yeah I agree. I've been messing with server-side all day..............

jonmaine 20:48 13 Jan 04

Three of the machines are wire connected to a D Link 604+ wireless router as is the printer too. We have two laptops wifi connected to the router too. The whole network has been working well with the only prior un explained glitches being with the printer not being seen across the network a few times.
The print server is the machine with the current problem.
Whats p2p?

jonmaine 20:48 13 Jan 04

Three of the machines are wire connected to a D Link 604+ wireless router as is the printer too. We have two laptops wifi connected to the router too. The whole network has been working well with the only prior un explained glitches being with the printer not being seen across the network a few times.
The print server is the machine with the current problem.
Whats p2p?

Pikachu 21:01 13 Jan 04

Peer to Peer (P2P) is where each comp has equal capabilities. There easy to setup for small number of comps but configuraing it porperly can be a pain. Not good at defining things I hope someone else has a better definition

jonmaine 21:27 13 Jan 04

This has 4 xp machines, 1 me 2 laptops 3 different pc 2 athlon and 1 older pentium, so i guess it is not p2p.
The problem seems to be limited to the print server which cannot communicate with any thing other than the printer. When you try looking at things within my network places it starts crashing explorer. What do I do next?

tinny76 21:28 13 Jan 04

try installing netbeui protocol, this is a non routable broadcoastt protocol that announces itself. this should allow all pcs etc to see each other, might work but may slow network down. do this by. right click network places, properties, install or add protocol, netbeui. youll need to reboot.
What is the printer pc O.S. if its 2000 or xp you will need to set up users on this pc of all the other pc logins that are trying to print to it. if its xp and users are set up, there has to be apasword also oryou will get the an error message that you cant connect.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now