XP pro network problems

Large JD 12:31 20 Jan 06

Having just finished repairing a bootup problem on my friends pc. (an old one i gave him) I have found some large video files 23GB that i want to transfer to my pc. I have a network card installed on my pc, so i have been through the (Set up a home network) thinking that would be the easiest way to transfer them. This is the first time i've attempted this and must have gone wrong somewhere. My friend pc is comunicating through mine and accessing the internet, but i can't see his pc on mine or visa-virsa. Not really sure what i should be seeing anyway. Have tried clicking on "My Network Places" Then "View Workgroup Computers" is this correct? When i do the above, an error message says that MSHOME is not accessable. And that i may not have permission, contact your administrator. I am the administrator!!
Regards
JD

mgmcc 13:22 20 Jan 06

The message you are seeing is a generic one that Windows displays whenever there is a problem with access over the network; it can therefore be misleading and inaccurate.

If you have any firewall software running in either PC, it needs to be configured to allow access to the networked computers.

Also try this: Open the Network Connections folder, right click the Local Area Connection and select Properties. Highlight "Internet protocol (TCP/IP)" and click the Properties button. Click the Advanced button and, in the next box, select the WINS tab. Select "Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP" and click OK back through the boxes.

If you are trying to access a PC running XP *PRO*, you need to be logged into the "client" PC with a Username/Password that matches an account set up in the XP Pro PC. If the "client" PC is running XP, use the facility in the Tools Menu of "My Network Places" to Map Network Drive. This will let you "Connect using a different username" so that you can access with the correct Login for the XP Pro PC. (...if that makes any sense!)

Large JD 17:24 20 Jan 06

Cheers mgmcc.
I have sorted the Firewall related issue.

Can you just explain the last paragraph in a bit more detail. Not quit sure about all the terminology, and meaning. This is my first attempt at networking.

If i complete last paragraph, do i need to complete the 3rd paragraph, if so will i need to do this on both pcs.

Both pc's are running xp pro
Regards
JD

mgmcc 18:39 20 Jan 06

<<< If i complete last paragraph, do i need to complete the 3rd paragraph, if so will i need to do this on both pcs. >>>

I would suggest that you do enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP as per the 3rd paragraph.

As regards the fourth paragraph, and the need for matching Logins, this is perhaps better explained in this article specifically about the issue - click here

mgmcc 18:41 20 Jan 06

I would suggest that you do enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP as per the 3rd paragraph.

...and I should have added, IN BOTH PCs

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac