XP Pro Network logon

Michendi 10:46 05 Apr 05

In Windows 2000 Pro it is quite simple (tick in a box) to require network users to enter a user name and password in order to gain access to a PC on the network.

Microsoft in their infinite wisdom have either removed or moved this option in XP Pro. It certainly isn't in the same setup option dialog box as it is in W2K Pro. I have looked in other logical places to set this up but have not as yet found the option.

Can anyone confirm whether this option is still available in XP Pro and if "yes"..... where????

Thanks

matt1234 12:08 06 Apr 05

xp pro doesnt have that option as far as i know, you will either have to go on with 2000pro or install some third party program!!!

BigMoFoT 11:17 07 Apr 05

Presumably you mean the ctrl+alt+del logon?

Well after my laptop was connected to a domain I wanted to remove the ctrl+alt+del login so I checked on the net and if you disbale offline files that got round the problem, so maybe if you enable offline files you'll get the login screen. However when you connect to a domain you should get this option anyway...

Offline files is in folder options.

recap 16:38 08 Apr 05

Log on as Administrator, open User Account/Advanced (tab), tick the box for Requires user to use Ctrl+Alt+Del

Michendi 22:34 27 Apr 05

that works but what a pain in the &8%$ It is really convenient to login via the XP "Welcome" screen. Wouldn't it be really nice to have a little tickbox in the Network options that when ticked would force network users to login.

Why is administering even a simple network always got to be so painful?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…