XP Pro ..........lost two disc drives

Carol Sco 13:35 14 Feb 03

My pc has suddenly decided not to find my cd rom and writer on boot.
They aint in the device manager and scan for new hardware don't show them up.........only used them this morning!
Both drawers open and shut and that is about it.
Help!

jazzypop 13:40 14 Feb 03

Right-click My Computer, select Manage > Disk Management, see if they are there. If so, right-click them and enable them.

stlucia 13:45 14 Feb 03

Did you "upgrade" anything during your last session when the drives were working okay?

Is it just a coincidence that there's another thread about the same problem with W2000 right next to yours?

Carol Sco 13:47 14 Feb 03

Jazzypop they aint listed. nothing under removable storage...............

Carol Sco 13:50 14 Feb 03

I put a back up disc in the drawer and it started to read it then just stopped.......attempted to browse it and nothing.
Have re-started a few times and attempted a few different types of cd (music etc) nothing.

Carol Sco 14:35 14 Feb 03

Took the case off and cleaned out the dust, un-pluged and then pluged them back in.
The writer will play anything and seems fine but the CD rom will not play music only data discs.
Will put a new drive in it later today and see what happens.
Thanks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…