XP Pro logon timeout

Doc2 12:43 15 Dec 03

Could someone assist with changing XP logon timeout settings. I have an XP Pro machine as a client in a workgroup which logs itself out after a few mins of inactivity. A good security feature, but I would like to be able to define the time before auto log-out. I probably can't see how to do this for looking, but would appreciate some assistance.
Thanks
Steve Cox

spikeychris 13:08 15 Dec 03

Doc2, how do you mean logs out? logs out of what?

Doc2 13:23 15 Dec 03

I am told by my admin manager that if she leaves the machine for a while, she has to log in to XP again (with her XP account user ID and password). The apps she is using are all sitting there as before, so no actual shutdown of apps occurs.
Hope I have explained this properly!

spikeychris 13:25 15 Dec 03

Does a screensaver kick in?

Doc2 14:01 15 Dec 03

Chris, apparently not!

spikeychris 14:11 15 Dec 03

Well there is an option with the screensaver to go back to login screen with inactivity, sometimes on a LAN you have to have a fiddle in the registry.

Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop

Click the desktop folder and in the right pane you will see a list. Look for the below and double click each one, you will see a value box...set each value to (0) zero.

ScreenSaveActive =

ScreenSaverIsSecure =

ScreenSaveTimeOut = 600 (leave this one if the above have been set to zero)

Doc2 14:18 15 Dec 03

Thanks Chris, I'll give it a go.
Appreciate your time and assistance
Steve

spikeychris 14:27 15 Dec 03

No probs, let us know how you get on.

Chris

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…