//some 3rd party need geo

xp pro limits?

madPentium 12:58 03 Nov 03

I have been to a small company today that use 15 windows xp pro computers on a network and the server is just a pc with beefed up memory and hdd. All they do at this company is create word documents and the occasional spreadsheet, nothing heavy. The xp pro machine acting as a server has a backup tape drive attached. I installed a couple of new pcs onto the network today but they say the server is at its limit?
Can only so many people connect to xp pro? I thought if is was simple sharing there wouldnt be a limit? What if I disconnect mappings and they simply connect through network places, would this overcome it?

If not, can you buy a kit to add to pro to allow more users?

Many thanks

AndySD 14:44 03 Nov 03

When you are using your Windows XP pro system as a File-server of a network of system,
10 systems can connect (use a shared resource) at the same time. Removing mapping may well solve this problem

-Beb- 16:52 03 Nov 03

Make sure that your network is on a domain rather than a workstation (or the other way round. I forget). This should give you a nearly unlimited network capacity :)

madPentium 17:00 03 Nov 03

I'll try that. It isnt setup as a domain.

AndySD 17:12 03 Nov 03

Since you dont have a domain controller (a computer running Windows 2000 Server) setting it to a Domain will not work. The only real way to get arround the 10 user limit is to set up a server.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…