XP Pro hangs on start up - Agp440.sys

bax 07:00 31 Aug 04

Suddenly XP Pro hangs on start up. If I try to start in safe mode it reaches Agp440.sys and there is stays. Microsoft have a fix 324764 that needs the XPPro CD to open the recovery console, but I have an Acer travelmate and only the ACER recovery disk which will not start the recovery console. The repair option on the Acer CD does not help either. I'm reluctant to do a re-install unless absolutely essential. Any suggestions?

AndySD 07:14 31 Aug 04

When booting into safe mode can you get it to boot with vga mode. If so then try going to Add/Remove programs and uninstall the video drivers. Then reboot.

Forum Editor 07:21 31 Aug 04

and I have heard of various fixes, from updating the BIOS to replacing the motherboard to reinstalling the operating system.

One thing you might try is to go into the BIOS and change the Plug 'n Play option from 'No' to 'Yes'. This appears to have worked for some people.

Otherwise I'm afraid you will need to get into that recovery console, or do a complete reinstall of Windows.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…