XP PRO freezing after being left on

FUNKAM11 13:15 27 May 05

Help, XP professional is freezing if we leave pc on, this has only just started happening and is a right pain, as I work from home, go away, come back. Pentium 4 3ghz, 728 ram, only 6 months old. This problem only statred yesterday.

FUNKAM11 13:24 27 May 05

I cant even get ctrl+alt+delete to work

Indigo 1 13:43 27 May 05

Have you tried System Restore ?

Mr Mistoffelees 13:55 27 May 05

Make sure all fans are running as they should and are clean. Make sure all ventilation holes are clear. Pay special attention to the cpu fan and heatsink, making sure that the heatsink is completely free of dust and debris. Then let us know how it goes.

FUNKAM11 14:09 27 May 05

HI,have checked fans,heatsink etc all free of dust.

Dr. Charles(retired now) 14:18 27 May 05

I had this with XP Home - - -try refreshing your Bios and see if that sorts it out. In addition I configured my power supply to never switch off into snooze mode - -- - sometimes your HD`s can stop altogether I am told

I hope that helps

Joe R 14:20 27 May 05

check your power options in the control panel, and make sure everything is set to "never" switch off

Joe R 14:21 27 May 05

should have added, ensure hibernation is also unticked.

FUNKAM11 18:45 27 May 05

Power options are all switched to NEVER and hibernation is now unchecked, not made any difference though. Could a windows XP Hotfix KB88742 have caused it as this installed itself just before problem started?

Indigo 1 19:24 27 May 05

Try System Restore back to a date when it was working OK.

Start menu/all programs/accessories/system tools/system restore.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Microsoft HoloLens hands-on review

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…