Xp pro freezes on laptop

fredyflame 21:58 14 Feb 04

I have installed win xp on a hP omnibook 500 after formatting the C drive (there was an un named drive which I formatted only 22mb)
xp loaded fine but when i try to restart it always freezes on the black start up screen.
I then have to press the restart button on side of laptop which gives me the choice to start normally this goes ok but back to freezing on each start or restart.

dfghjkl 22:06 14 Feb 04

does your system meet the minimum requirements for xp?it is very hungry for small cpu,s and memory.what is your memory etc?

fredyflame 22:11 14 Feb 04

128meg 10 gig hard drive 600 mhz cpu

dfghjkl 23:20 14 Feb 04

that is pushing it a bit.you will get peope on here saying they run xp on 128 but it cant be very fast,i used to run it on 256ddr and it was ok,i now have 512,but dont notice much differance (10% higher 3d mark 2003)so it must have been ok on 256. 256 is the minimum requirement for xp i think but not sure about cpu.i think you would be better on 98se,unless you upgrade.i am sure someone else will tell you the minimum specs,if i remember they are on the xp disc,if you put it in,it might tell you.take it from me,xp really is the best,so it is worth a bit of hassle but get everything right and you will enjoy it a lot more.peter.

dfghjkl 23:23 14 Feb 04

also 10 gig wont last you too long,it takes 1.5 gig just to load up,so by the time you have it how you want it you will use up to half of that.no room for any games.i dont mean to put you off,i know it may look like it,but i am not.just letting you know .peter.

fredyflame 23:49 14 Feb 04

Thanks for that
It was running 2000 pro but I removed that and have no back up disk
may have to just run win 98 sec ed

dfghjkl 00:24 15 Feb 04

glad to have been a help.peter.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…