XP Pro false set up with Windows Installer

MIKE. 09:10 24 Sep 06

A neighbour of mine son decided he wanted XP Pro on his machine not XP Home which he was running. I know it is illegal but he borrowed a Pro disc from one of his school chums but chickened out loading Pro part way through the set up. I came into this problem because now his XP home would not load and was asked could I help. We now have XP home up and running. The situation is after home loads Windows Installer tries to attempt to set up XP Pro is there any way I can stop Windows Installer trying to set up XP Pro as it is not required.

Diodorus Siculus 09:22 24 Sep 06

The best solution would be a clean install of XP Home; failing that, try are repair:

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
click here

MIKE. 09:26 24 Sep 06

Thanks Diodorus Siculus I did a repair on XP home to get that working,but the the problem still exists after repair.

johnnyrocker 09:52 24 Sep 06

system restore? or is that not an option in view of what has been done before?

jjohnny.

MIKE. 10:02 24 Sep 06

No chance not sure when he tried to beat the system. He only volantiers the info is when he thinks he will not get into trouble from his parents.

thms 10:17 24 Sep 06

My nephew did the same thing, Ended up having to install on my computer as slave to back up his stuff then had to reformat and re-install.

His unfortunately couldn't get out of the windows installer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…