xp pro on external hdd???????????

Jwbjnwolf 16:23 04 Nov 10

I know that windows xp is soon to be unsupported by microsoft but I was wondering if when we do go and buy one of those tb external hdds, would we be able to install windows xp pro on the external hdds and boot to that drive?
If do buy an xp pro disk then the purpose would be so that I can play all of my lovelly old game again that were built for 95,98 and all the old outdated ones that I can remember playing when I was alot younger on my old pc (which I would of still had if my so-called father did actually at least try and fix it like he promised, which I was upset about and was going on and on for yrs asking if he fixed it, even when him and my mum split up, but that is anougher long,long,long,long story), which worked on xp but nothing newer.
I know about xp mode, just waiting till our main computer is connected to the internert to be able to get it as the win7 is the pro version, but the other reason that want it on an external hdd is because it would be good to insert it into whichever pc want to, and boot from there. if this is possible, that will be great, so I can then maybe have linux installed one my netbook and use the external hdd if want xp on it.

also is xp mode exactly like an actual xp os?
what i mean is can i play those really old games that are built for 98 or lower that are playable using compatability mode using xp mode?
and i have tryed win7 compatability mode but it just does not work.

GaT7 16:31 04 Nov 10

"...would we be able to install windows xp pro on the external hdds and boot to that drive?"

Yes, you should be able to if your motherboard supports booting from a USB drive, & it's setup in the BIOS to do so.

"what i mean is can i play those really old games that are built for 98 or lower that are playable using compatability mode using xp mode?"

I can check this out & get back to you. I'm using Win7 Ult, so if you give me examples of such games (which are free to download), I can try them out in XP mode. G

Jwbjnwolf 16:59 04 Nov 10

lemmings paintball
was built for 95,
creatures
was built for 95/98
dont know if they are free to download but if more than 5 that you download for 95 works then most of mine should

GaT7 17:11 04 Nov 10

Most games have free downloadable demos (e.g. click here), so if they work in XP mode, then it's fair to say the actual games will too. G

Jwbjnwolf 17:43 04 Nov 10

ok, thanks, about when windows xp is unsupported it ain't a good idea to use the internet is it? most likely answer is that you could if you wanted but less secure, and that is why I would not use it as for internet.

lotvic 17:46 04 Nov 10

"but the other reason that want it on an external hdd is because it would be good to insert it into whichever pc want to, and boot from there"

You might run into problems trying to do that, as the hardware hash generated when you install Windows will not match when you plug the ext HDD into a different pc and boot from it.

Jwbjnwolf 17:49 04 Nov 10

is there anywhere on the internet that can explain more about it?
I have looked but just cannot find anything relevent to what I want

lotvic 17:55 04 Nov 10

32bit XP SP3 support ends April 8, 2014
64bit XP SP2 support ends April 8, 2014

What is it exactly that you are searching for to find out more about?
(There seem to be several issues on this thread)

Jwbjnwolf 18:02 04 Nov 10

I mean is anywhere that will explain about os's on external hdds and what will happen if you try booting from each pc?

GaT7 18:32 04 Nov 10

"also is xp mode exactly like an actual xp os?"

Yes, the info in this link click here should answer some, if not most, of your questions about XP Mode. I have a hunch that you'll be better off using XP Mode in Win7 rather than having a dual-booting XP external disk. I may be wrong though. G

lotvic 18:50 04 Nov 10

Crossbow7 knows far more than me about xp mode, and W7. (I haven't a clue about it)

But, If your intention is to install XP on an Ext Drive and then use that on several different pc's, you raise several issues there.

1. EULA (End User Licence Agreement) (tells you how many different pc's you are legally allowed to install on) This is usually one pc unless you have either a Family Licence - which you don't and they no longer sell them or if you are a business and have a business licence for xx number of pc's VLK (volume licence)
You agree to the terms of the EULA when you install the O/S.

2.Microsoft Activation - Hardware Hash generated during install that ties the activation to a particular motherboard and other hardware. Means that when you try to install and activate same Product Key on a different pc, it won't activate and you have to ring Microsoft and explain what you are doing (because it is illegal to install on more than one pc)

3. Differences between the licenses - Retail - OEM - Manufacturer Specific OEM.

4. WGA (Windows Genuine Advantage) The 0/S periodically (you can't control this) checks to see if it is still installed on the same pc and the Hardware matches the Hash it generated. You are allowed some changes to hardware but if too many are changed you will get a message 'Your copy of Windows is Not Genuine, you may be a victim of piracy' and you won't be able to download any updates as it will fail Validation.

If you search on the internet the above are some the things that you need to know more about.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009