XP Pro and disks over 137GB

WaTcHiNg 00:18 28 May 04

Not sure how well known this is but .....

If you re-install Windows XP (pre SP1) and have a disk over 137Gb installed and connected, Windows does not see the disk until you install SP1. After installing SP1, the whole disk appears as 1 lump of 'unpartitioned space' and you've lost your data and partitions.

I had a backup of my data on a second partition on my 160Gb disk and lost both my data and backup sets. Whoops - Lesson Learned. Seperate disk (of less than 137GB) purchased for backup use from now on.

I guess this may become a problem as more people buy hard disks over 137GB as theirs start to fail and re-install the version of windows XP that came with their PC 18 months ago.

I've now created a new Windows XP installation CD with SP1 as per instructions on M$ website. Anyone know how to make it bootable?

MS web article to update your XP installation disk: click here
MS web article on he problem:
click here

Diodorus Siculus 08:16 28 May 04

I can't answer your query but I want this in my postings. Thanks for the info.

Chegs ® 09:24 28 May 04

click here

I just created a "slipstreamed" XP + SP1 install cd,its also possible to create a cd which needs nothing inputing from the user(includes updated drivers/cd key etc)so you simply set to boot from cd-rom.

WaTcHiNg 19:32 29 May 04

Sorted thanks. It was the last bit about the bootdisk I was struggling with.

TomJerry 20:17 29 May 04

(1) Copy all files from your Windows XP installation/setup CD-Rom to your harddisk. For example you can copy it to the folder c:\winxpsp. Make sure you copy all files and all subdirectories! You should now have a file called c:\winxpsp\i386\setupldr.bin. If not go back, you did something wrong.
The location of the i386 folder may differ, for example when you have a dual boot MSDN cd-rom it will be in \%lang%\winxp\%edition%, where %lang% is your language, like "ENGLISH", "GERMAN" and %edition% is "Home" or "Pro". Other CD's may have it just in the root or in some other location.

(2) Apply service pack to your files using the "-s" option (you must supply full path).
xpsp1_en_x86.exe -s:c:\winxpsp

jonnytub 20:52 29 May 04

Spark6 21:03 29 May 04

And me!

roy 22:39 29 May 04

Bookmarked

gudgulf 23:45 29 May 04

Hmmm---this applies to me ,so in my favourites,and my postings.

WaTcHiNg 17:51 30 May 04

At this rate I may get a tip in the magazine ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…