XP Pro. & dial up modem!

Djohn 22:48 26 May 04

Hi guys.
Decided to remove unwanted internal modem this evening as no longer used. I turned off the PC and removed the PCI card then re-booted. Got as far as text screen saying.

Windows will not load because of hardware/software change. Choose from the following,

Safe mode.

Safe mode with network connections.

Last known good configuration.

Normal mode.

Choose normal mode if this message is due to incorrect shutdown.

Tried all the above and nothing!

Install the PCI modem card again and all is back to normal. Tried again and same message.

Can anyone give me a kick please as to where I've made a mistake. :o(

Everything is working fine at the moment but can't understand why removing the internal dial up modem caused above to happen.

XP Pro SP1 with all updates. Retail version.

Many thanks j.

PSF 22:50 26 May 04

Try un-installing the modem in the device manager first and then remove the card.

woodchip 22:53 26 May 04

As above but also check before pulling the plug to see if there is Modem or software in Add Remove

Djohn 23:08 26 May 04

I did have a quick look in control panel but it wasn't showing so I removed the card itself. Your replies reminded me that the modem was originally from 98se days and not fully compatible with XP [No Fax facilities] working from XP's driver and not it's own. That is why there is no mention in control panel, add/remove.

It is of course showing as "Best data/Fax modem" in device manager so I will remove it from there in the morning then remove the PCI card itself. I'm sure this will put things right so will tick the thread.

Once again many thanks to both of you for your speedy and helpful response. j.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…