xp pro desktop probs after moving

johnnyrocker 12:08 03 Aug 08

morning all, my xp pro machine worked fine when i last used it about 6 weeks ago, since moving and setting it up for the first time last night i find an annoying problem on boot up ie desktop picture arrives in normal time but icons etc can take up to five minutes to appear and one has no functions till then.any ideas folks?

johnny

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:21 03 Aug 08

Repair XP by replacing corrupt files
Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

johnnyrocker 17:51 03 Aug 08

my thanks for that tip but as cd is not unpacked yet (gawd knows which box lol )i may have to wait a bit but thought there might be another answer to try

johnny

thms 18:20 03 Aug 08

Check all connections. Remove and reseat graphics card and memory and check hd connections.

johnnyrocker 19:31 03 Aug 08

thanks tms but why would this cause a delay in icons arriving? excuse my ignorance

johnny

rdave13 20:02 03 Aug 08

I've just followed this; click here and my desktop icons load a bit faster.

johnnyrocker 20:10 03 Aug 08

thanks for that i have just followed what it says and will see on next boot up;)

johnny

johnnyrocker 18:28 04 Aug 08

it is much better but still not quite as it was but greatly improved, i also find i cannot use mike any more for messenger and an on board recorder shows no activity during speech, have tried another mike with same results, soundblaster audigy 2 card

johnny

rdave13 23:16 04 Aug 08

I'd now check all the connections and 'cards' inside the PC, it could be poor connection somewhewre as thms suggested.

johnnyrocker 17:04 05 Aug 08

re connected original 5.1 system and probs gone, thanks to all

johnny

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac