XP pro cyclic rebooting on startup

Nickelback1 07:33 17 Sep 03

After a recent Lovesan/MSblast virus infection which has now been Norton cleared, my PC on startup cycle reboots about 6-8 times to startup & carries the message windows has failed to start correctly - please select last known working config. It also for now apparent reason after being on successfully for some time suddenly reboots all on its own.
I have tried the run- SFC /Scannow command which has run successfully but still the problem persists.
Any ideas what's wrong ??

VoG II 07:47 17 Sep 03

Right-click on My Computer, click Properties, click the Advanced tab. Under "Startup & Recovery" click Settings. Under "System Failure" untick the box in front of "Automatically restart".

The next time it restarts you should see a blue screen with one or more error messages. Post here EXACTLY what is on that screen.

Nickelback1 07:53 17 Sep 03

Thx VoG,
I give a go and come back shortly

Nickelback1 08:23 17 Sep 03

VoG,
I tried that and system booted ok with no problems ? It would seem to be cured

VoG II 08:25 17 Sep 03

Well, stranger things have happened but I can't see how changing that setting would have cured it.

Anyway, I would leave the setting as it is, then if XP crashes for any reason you'll be able to see the error codes.

Nickelback1 08:35 17 Sep 03

Let's hope you right, thx again for your help

Nickelback1 10:01 17 Sep 03

Oh dear, problems not resolved- XP just crashed without warning and no error codes or info was displayed or logged on reboot which worked fine & did not cycle.
What now?

AndySD 10:26 17 Sep 03

Try the System File Checker

Put your windows CD into the CD ROM and hold the shift key (the one with arrow pointing up, just above the Ctrl key on the left of your keyboard). Holding shift for a few seconds will stop the Windows CD from auto running, but the drive will still spin up to read the disk then spin back down again. Once it has spun down you can release the shift key.

Now click Start/All Programs/Accessories and choose Command Prompt. Type in

sfc /scannow

and hit enter. This will check and replace any damaged system files.

Nickelback1 10:41 17 Sep 03

Yes, I have already tried this and it runs through all ok and does not find any problems.

AndySD 10:52 17 Sep 03

Ok then try reinstalling your drivers....or you could do a Repair Instalation....but you would need to download and reinstall all the updates again afterwards.

Nickelback1 12:09 17 Sep 03

Ok, is it possible to tell which driver is the problem &/or how do I do a repair installation

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…