Xp pro Crashes need assistance

toni b 03:26 10 Oct 03

I have been experincing major problems with xp pro on my laptop.I am unable to boot normally,the best I can manage is safe mode with networking.
When Xp attempts to load ,the logo appears on screen and after about 10 seconds reboots, I have tried Goback and system retore points but no joy ,even in safe mode the computer loads driver list but then takes several minutes to actually enter safe mode log in screen when I attempt to close com the system hangs is this a clue???I am at a loss I wouldl like to reinstall windows once I have managed to save my settings as there are severalp rograms I need to access online banking and stuff like that.I have run scandisk tried uninstalling several programs such norton antivirus(2003) and systemworks but am at a loss I need some advice in what to try next in laymans terms if possible, assistant would gratefully be recived

yours Hopefully

Toni

Lozzy 06:50 10 Oct 03

Try this before re formatting..

Insert the XP CD in the rom exit from the setup wizard it starts, then click Start>>Run then type SFC /SCANNOW then OK (Note the space between the C and /)

Now if that does not fix it try running a full repair. To do this re boot the laptop with the XP CD in the rom then when prompted "Press any key to Boot from CD" press enter then follow the wizard as if your going to re install Ignoring the page of the wizard then asks you what do you want to do Install or Repair.. At that page click Install then two pages on thats were you click Repair and it will take approx 20mins to carry out this function. You will not loose any data nor any programs so long as you click Repair on the second section NOT the FIRST.

Mutant_Llama 08:19 10 Oct 03

I too have had this problem but have NEVER resolved it....

It started by the constant restarts and was not down to the MSBLASY virus or the Windows fix that they offer (replace KERNEL32.DLL). Infact the Windows repair made things a damn site worse (it would reboot before I could even get into safemode).

In the end I eventually settled for a format and reinstall but after a month the same problem came back (I had ALL windows updates and had fully up to date AV software).

I have formatted and reintalled Windows for the third time now and all seems ok....but I imagine I will see this problem return in a week or so...

I recently changed 512mb to 1024mb DDR 266, replaced my GF3 with a Radeon 9700PRO and finally replaced the power unit from a 300w to 400w PSU.

Any advice you can give would be most welcome...

I do not think this is hardware as the system can be stable for quite some time....

toni b 03:20 11 Oct 03

On my supplied disks from Hp I can only find the option to reinstall factory settings which will reformat disk , untill I get my external Hd next week end I do not want to do this ,can you please advise .should the OEM disks have the option to "repair xp " on them??
Regards Toni

toni b 02:38 12 Oct 03

bump!

The Spires 09:23 12 Oct 03

Configure your computer to start from the CD-ROM drive (Boot from CD). Insert your Windows XP CD (Your XP Licence key will be required at some point), restart the computer. When the 'Press any key to boot from CD' message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.

Press ENTER when you see the message To setup Windows XP now, and then press ENTER displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen.

Do NOT choose the option to press R to use the Recovery Console. In the Windows XP Licensing Agreement, press F8 to agree to the license agreement. Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press R to repair Windows XP. This should keep most of your existing settings intact - Hopefully!

Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now