xp pro checksum error

johnnyrocker 14:18 29 Mar 08

i have the above system with sp 2 i am again encountering above prob on boot up, the machine first did it about two weeks ago when it was new (5yrs ago) but settled down, it has sporadically returned every couple of years and last year when it was consistent i changed the battery on advice of this forum, it did not solve the prob which eventually went away of its own accord, it is now back again and occurring every boot up which involves resetting cmos and continuing. any ideas on next move please?

johnny.

johnnyrocker 14:26 29 Mar 08

typo was not new two weeks ago;)

johnny

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:37 29 Mar 08

Only two cures I know of for checksum error:-

1. battery problem easy to do and no risk.

2. Update the BIOS with a BIOS FLASH and hope nohing goes wrong during the process otherwise the board is dead.

johnnyrocker 14:43 29 Mar 08

how would i attempt bios flash and what are the risks please?

johnny

skidzy 14:49 29 Mar 08

click here
click here

Though do check there is a bios update availble from the motherboard manufacuter.

johnnyrocker 15:23 29 Mar 08

seems a bit long winded and difficult i think i will wait to move house then play or buy another one.

johnny.

johnnyrocker 18:03 30 Mar 08

if any help i notice that on shut down the clock goes to zero before it finally closes, no idea if it helps though.

johnny

skidzy 18:43 30 Mar 08

Jonny i would first try a new cmos battery before considering a bios flash.Cheap enough and certainly worth the try.

johnnyrocker 18:54 30 Mar 08

didnt work last time but is the better of the two options and thanks will give it a go.

johnny

dan** 18:58 30 Mar 08

It could be a dry joint or the motherboard's bios on the way out.

skidzy 19:02 30 Mar 08

Johnny,the clock resetting is a classic sign of a dying/dead cmos battery.£2.99 from Wilkinson click here

As pointed out,do consider the mobo maybe on its last legs or even a failing psu.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…