XP Pro cant see my modem while XP Home can!

OU812 21:32 09 Jan 04

Working in a college I recently took advantage of an option to upgrade my OS from XP Home (which came installed with my 15 mth old P4 2.53 PC) to XP Professional for use when working (ahem!) on college work at home (I got Office XP for free under the same deal).

Upgrading over the XP home install didn't work so over Xmas since I had brought a new hard drive (an Hitachi 7K 250 160GB) I decided to bite the bullet and do a fresh install of XP Proffessional.

The install went OK other than for the fact that my modem (a creatix v92) was no longer recognised in device manager.

I tried to install the drivers (digitally signed) from a drive image I had installed on a sepaerate partition on the new hard disk (and then directly from my old disk as slave) but the OS was having none of it and rebooted each time I tried to install the drivers after giving a warning that the hardware I was trying to install might damage my system.

Since a PC is pretty much useless without an internet connection these days I ended up copying my old drive to the new drive (using Drive Image 7) and that process has gone fine.

However I would still like to use XP Proffessional (for its ASR abilities if nothing else) if I can over come this issue of it not recognising my modem.

Any ideas

howard60 21:39 09 Jan 04

does it show in hardware devices? if so try deleting it - reboot and see if xp pro will now see it and install it. If it does not show at try opeing the box and taking it out. Reboot the pc and shut down and if possible put it back in a different slot and see if it is found this time.

OU812 13:15 18 Apr 04

Just to top and tail, I never did resolve the issue but have now anyway successfully installed XP Pro which I did as a completly fresh install after formating the disk.

Just one final point, the process would have been a very torturous one without using the broadband connection (512kbps)I purchased in advance of doing this job with respect to updating my newly reinstalled software (I decided against restoring programmes from there drive image in order to try keep things "clean")and of course Windows itself which required 20MB of updates just for itself.

No problem via broadband but a different matter via dialup.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…