Xp pro. Can I install on more than 1 PC?

xphile 18:54 09 Feb 05

Have bought oem version of xp pro to install onto new PC I'm going to build (when I've got all the bits). I currently run xp home on PC I've already got.Can I install xp pro on this one too? Or am I limited to installation to one PC only? If I can do this am I right to think I'll need to reformat my hard drive & install from scratch?(not an issue with new build - got a new drive for that one).

Kate B 18:56 09 Feb 05

nope - the licence is only for one computer. and you have to activate it: the process generates a key which locks that licence to that machine.

mattyc_92 18:57 09 Feb 05

you would have to get another installation disk and license for the other.. It is illegal to install a windows license on more than one system at a time...

Djohn 19:01 09 Feb 05

Only on the one PC at any given time I'm afraid. Its quite legal to install it to several PC's at the same time and use as an evaluation for thirty days but then you will need to activate and it will only activate on one PC.

Office is different and most versions can be loaded to to PC's at the same time [1 desktop + 1 laptop] that belong to the same owner.

Office 2003 or 11 as it is also known can be loaded to 3 PC's at the same time and do not need to belong to the same person but must be a family member at the same address and the Desktop/Laptop rule does not apply. IE: It can be on 3 desktops or 3 laptops.

Methedrine 20:37 09 Feb 05

You can install winXP pro on a desktop PC and have a back up copy on a laptop. All legal. All activated. Read the EULA, it's in there somewhere.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…