XP Pro boot very very slow

HighTower 17:49 11 Jan 04

I've recently installed XP Pro and I find that the boot up time after I have selected the user is incredibly slow - more than 10 minutes!. The PC seems to sit there doing nothing - no disk activity, but eventually it gets there!

Anyone got any ideas?

HighTower 09:35 12 Jan 04

refresh

Big Elf 10:36 12 Jan 04

Defrag the hard disk.

Update the drivers for the graphics card.

Are you using Norton AV?

HighTower 10:42 12 Jan 04

Hi, thanks for your post.

I upgraded from W2K, and I thought that Norton may be the problem so uninstalled it but that didn't help.

I'll check again this-morning when I have time, but yesterday if I logged on as a different user it seemed to boot up normally. I'll download the patches and updates and see if it helps.

When it's running I find it very quick. Does this give you any other ideas as to what the issue may be?

Thanks again.

hugh-265156 10:46 12 Jan 04

click start/run type msconfig and click ok

click the start up tab and untick everything except your AV and firewall click apply/ok and restart the computer.

when it restarts it should be a bit quicker.tick the dont show again box when the warning pops up to tell you that you have changed the way windows starts.

hugh-265156 10:48 12 Jan 04

ps.all the above does is stop unessessary programs from starting along with windows which slow things down.all your programs will work as they normally do.

HighTower 10:59 12 Jan 04

I'll give it a go and post back at lunchtime! Thanks.

defrag 3 times it is a slight problem for installation of XP whether pro or home that occurs causing slow start up & usually slow time switching between programs it is advisable to defrag
open my computer right click on your HDD where you have installed XP several options open on that page you want to defrag click on that then follow instructions do it once & check your speed if you are still slow do it all again repeat after checking your speed you should see a lot quicker performance without tweaking

do not forget to update XP plus drivers This causes slow speeds again check defrag

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…