XP pro Boot Problems - Solved.... but why?

Malaclypse 16:14 18 Dec 03

Hi there,

I've had a bit of problems with my XP pro laptop - it's a toshiba satellite pro 2100 cel 1.8G, 30Gb HDD - and I was wondering exactly WHY!

I shut it down this morning, after listening to a streaming radio show from the BBC. It has a scheduled 7am WMP playlist, so it plays some mp3/wmv's at that time (Guess what I use the machine for!)

I took it into work, plugged it in, and got presented with the message:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM"

and something about doing a repair with the Windows setup disk.
Toshiba, helpfully supplied a recovery disk, but no Windows xp disk - so if I want to reinstall windows, I have to wipe the entire contents of the drive. Thank you Toshiba!!

Long story short, after much fuffling about, I used Microsoft's KB307545 article to solve my problem - repairing system restore so I could actually use it!

My Question:

What in the name of all things microsoft went wrong!?
It was working fine less than two hours previously, then apparently my "System hive" has been corrupted!

What could have caused this? I've done virus-scans, and it seems clear. I'm connected to broadband, so I'm not against the idea that it was some malevolence (even though I have a firewall in my router and Zonealarm running)

I'm just praying it's not a hardware fault, but I'm not sure if I can rule that out either.

Am I likely to see this fault again?

If anybody has any inspiration on this, please let me know, cause I'm worried that it's gonna die on me at any moment.

Thanks,

Malaclypse

Malaclypse 16:51 18 Dec 03

Oooh, and I'm also running FAT32, so the ntfs 7.8 GB partition limit problem (for system drives) doesn't apply here.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…