XP pro back to 98se

denchris 19:44 12 Oct 03

My P3 450mz has XP pro and I would like to re-install win 98se, simple enough !!! But it`s turning out not so simple. I`ve set bios to cd first and it ignores win 98 cd and loads XP anyway... So i set bios to floppy first and use a win98 startup disc and it tells me to remove all discs and press any key, where upon yep, it loads XP again. anyone help please ?

leo49 19:47 12 Oct 03

98 won't load over a later OS - you'll have to wipe your HDD and then install.

AndySD 19:48 12 Oct 03
  LastChip 19:59 12 Oct 03

There may be a way over this, but what are you trying to achieve?

Why for example, don't you format your drive and install Win98se as leo49 suggests?

hssutton 20:02 12 Oct 03

I did this a couple of days ago using a Win 98 startup disk. I booted with the 98 startup which allowed me to go into Dos. I then used fdisk to delete the ntfs partition. In bios I set boot-up from Cd-rom and let the Win 98 cd-rom do the rest, not sure if this is the best way, but it works.

denchris 20:24 12 Oct 03

As I said, win 98 startup disc will not take me into DOS, after the initial screen setup it stops, `remove all discs and press any key`...

AndySD, thanks for your lead...

leo49,LastChip,this is what I`m trying to do,how ?

denchris 20:38 12 Oct 03

I am SO sorry fellas, the startup disc I was using turned out to be blank, I think my grandson must have ...... well anyway I`ll get on with the job now. please forgive one oldie for being so stupid...thanks a lot..

LastChip 20:38 12 Oct 03

First, double check your FIRST boot device is set to Floppy. From what you have said, I don't think there's too much doubt about that!

Make sure your second boot device is selected to Hard Drive 0 (or 1, depends on the BIOS - but in any case, drive C:).

Now boot from your floppy and when you get the message "remove all disks etc", ignore it, and press enter.

See if that gets you to a DOS prompt.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…