XP pro -administrator rights?? Who has them?

777 12:04 08 Apr 05

Mesh computer -9 mths old. Only ever set up 1 account on it & it has administrator rights. Some programs eg Drive Image won't back up system because I do not have administrator rights. So who is the administrator if it's not me. Is there a hidden administrator account? & if so where is it & how do i know what its password is?

scooby43 12:25 08 Apr 05

have you looked in the user accounts and see what access rights are listed

Indigo 1 12:29 08 Apr 05

Got to Start Menu/ Control Panel/ Administrative tools/ Computer Management and in the left-hand panel double click local Users and Groups, this will open up to reveal two folders - Users and Groups- go into users and you will see all your accounts and can alter them there.

777 12:41 08 Apr 05

Yes there is an administrator account listed there (apart from mine). says its an inbuilt one I think. So how do i access it & log on with it & how do I know what its password is?

Indigo 1 13:25 08 Apr 05

Go back to Groups, Start/Control Panel/Admin Tools/Comp Management/ double click Local Users And Groups then go into groups and check if they are both listed as Administrators.

In Users folder you can right click the account name and select Properties to change or add passwords

777 13:37 08 Apr 05

OK - my account & the administrator account are both listed as having administrator rights. So why when I'm logged on with my account do some programs deny me access eg to making a backup.
The other longstanding problem is that when we tried to network 2 home computers this one denies access to the network & says to contact the administrator. Is this part of the same problem?
Has the inbuilt administrator account got more "rights" than a set up administrator account.

BurrWalnut 14:49 08 Apr 05

This may work if you get Access Denied in WinXP Pro. It certainly works for files/folders and may work for programs. Try “taking ownership” of the file/folder before it can be accessed. First of all go to Folder Options, View Tab and in the Advanced Settings at the end, untick “Use simple file sharing”, which will allow the Security Tab to be shown in the file’s properties. Also, in Folder options, make sure hidden and system files can be viewed.

To take ownership of the file (it’s best done at the folder level), right-click it, Properties, Security Tab, add your user name, fill in all the permissions and Apply. You can now access it.

777 14:54 08 Apr 05

How do I find folder options? Sorry if this is a stupid question!

BurrWalnut 07:56 09 Apr 05

Start, Control Panel, Folder Options

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…