XP Pro Address book & Email Files

evan 15:19 23 Sep 06

Can anyone tell me where the address book and email files are stored in win xp pro. I've carried out a search but all I've found is shortcuts to the file not the actual files. I want to find them for backup purposes.

GaT7 15:26 23 Sep 06

If using IE:

C:\Documents and Settings\[your name]\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book

C:\Documents and Settings\[your name]\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{D8B2EE90-F11A-47F6-95F7-8066E77986D9}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

the {D8B2EE90.... folder name will be different on your PC. G

Taff™ 22:18 23 Sep 06

You need to view hidden files and folders to see these. In Windows Explorer go to Tools>Folder Options and select the View Tab. Scroll down and tick the "Show hidden Files..." and deselect the "Hide file extensions of known types"

If you use Outlook as opposed to Outlook Express look for .pst files. This will contain all your e-mails and Contacts details in the one file. Do a search for *.pst after having done paragraph one.

terryf 23:13 23 Sep 06

If you have a second drive it is possible to store your emails on the second drive Create a new folder on your D drive called Store folder
copy the contents of your current store folder as described above by Crossbow7 into the one you created. Go to Outlook Express>Tools>Options>Maintenance. Click on Store folder Enter D:\Store Folder and click Apply

evan 16:16 24 Sep 06

Thanks everyone your solutions worked.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…