XP Pro activation problem

Grandad D 21:53 27 Nov 04

Hi, A friend of mine has XP Pro, She thought she had activated it OK. However she has been away for a few weeks and when she got back her computer will not let her do anything. She gets a message saying that it has now passed its activation date and that's it. She says that this is all it says. Can she just alter the date in the BIOS so that the computer will boot. Can she then reactivate it, Or will this not work? I am unable to go to see the problem for myself as she is around 300 miles away. Thanks for any help with this, Ta, Dennis.

mattyc_92 22:38 27 Nov 04

Are you aware of her changing her hardware config around recently???

Completealias 22:44 27 Nov 04

She must be running xp home as as far as I know xp pro doesn't require product activation. You only have 30 days to activate xp after an install does the pc come up with option to contact microsoft and activate? if not you could try the BIOS thing but chances are you may well have to reinstall then activate if you can't contact microsoft and activate installed copy. Xp home only allows for 5 major hardware changes to the system after that it will require you to re-activate it.

Djohn 22:52 27 Nov 04

There should be a telephone number displayed with the message. If she phones this number it will connect her to an automated service that request the product key she holds [She will tap this number in to the phone's keypad] a new number will be read out for her to activate the product.

If this does not work or your friend is not sure how to carry out the above procedure then ask her to phone this number in office hours and a Microsoft adviser will help her activate windows. Tel. 0870 60 10 100

Djohn 22:54 27 Nov 04

Even the Pro. version will require activation. Its just certain types of Microsoft licenced software that do not need activation by the end user.

JaßîsFaß ˜ 23:03 27 Nov 04
  JaßîsFaß ˜ 23:08 27 Nov 04

Also, this click here looks a very similar situation to yours that was resolved

JaßîsFaß ˜ 21:53 10 Dec 04

Has the XP been activated?

JaßîsFaß ˜ 22:53 25 Dec 04

Please tick if resolved

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…