xp pro

johnnyrocker 20:14 05 Jul 09

i have the above folks with sp3 ie6 and all updates, the problem i have just noticed is that when i press ctrl alt delete the box that used to appear no longer does any ideas?

johnny

woodchip 20:26 05 Jul 09

Try running SFC /SCANNOW with XP CD in PC. if that does not work try System Restore to when it worked

lotvic 22:28 05 Jul 09

Try Ctrl + Shift + Esc
It is another shortcut for Task manager

If it still won't appear then Start/Run, and type: SFC /SCANNOW

If still no joy then
click here
This error is caused if the DisableTaskMgr restriction is enabled. To enable Task Manager, try one of these methods:
IMPORTANT: If this restriction was enabled in your system without you doing anything or without your knowledge, then it's highly likely that a Virus has blocked the usage of Task Manager in your system by enabling the DisableTaskMgr policy via the registry. I strongly suggest that you perform a thorough checkup of your system immediately. Steps listed in the Resolution section of this article helps you unblock the Task Manager, but that does not remove the Virus (if any) from your system.
Method 1

Click Start, Run and type this command exactly as given below: (better - Copy and paste)
REG add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v DisableTaskMgr /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

Method 2
Run this REG fix and double-click it.
------------------------
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
"DisableTaskMgr"=dword:00000000
--------------------------
Method 3

* Click Start, Run and type Regedit.exe
* Navigate to the following branch:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Policies\ System

* In the right-pane, delete the value named DisableTaskMgr
* Close Regedit.exe

johnnyrocker 12:08 06 Jul 09

thanks for info, an AVG scan came up clean, am trying sfc /scan but file checker seems to have stopped at about 5% and has been for 20 mins is this normal?

johnny

lotvic 17:36 06 Jul 09

Mine took about 30mins altogether - seemed to pause for 5 mins halfway through. When it finishes and disappears it does not give you an end report but you can check in event viewer to see if it completed without probs.

Better do a manual scan with these three (they don't affect existing antivirus as they are malware scanners)
Malwarebytes click here
Superantispyware click here
Asquared click here
make sure to get the free versions

Spyware blocker Spywareblaster
click here (manual update needed ).

MAT ALAN 18:39 06 Jul 09

click here

this may help...

johnnyrocker 19:37 06 Jul 09

completed sfc/scan malware found 11 which i corrected but am still unable to get task manager up so will gingerly try the regedit offered by lotvic

johnny

cream. 19:41 06 Jul 09

right click task bar and select task manager:-

does it come up?

johnnyrocker 19:44 06 Jul 09

no it does not

johnny

woodchip 08:19 07 Jul 09

Will it go to Safe Mode? if not and you have a Full XP disc why not try doing a Repair. if you can get to Safe Mode try System Restore. You could also try Last Known Good Configuration when you get the screen choices

johnnyrocker 17:04 07 Jul 09

good idea woodchip will try when i get home

johnny

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…