XP Power Options doesn't work

GRFT 08:52 01 May 05

When trying to set Power Options in Control Panel the Power Policy Manager comes up with the message: "! Indicates two revision levels are incompatible."
All I've done is set the monitor to power down after 20 mins then the hard drive 10 minutes later. What else has to be done?
Many thanks.

Joe R 09:08 01 May 05

Can you try putting your xp cd into your optical drive, (when it opens up exit), then click on start-run, and type in sfc /scannow and click on ok. Please remember there is a space between sfc and the forward slash.

GRFT 11:45 01 May 05

Thanks, Joe R. Did as you suggested but it made no difference, as I expected, because just a few days ago I did an online check with Microsoft which reported:"found no incompatibilities or problems," despite the fact that this installation does have its problems. The power down one is the least troublesome.

Chegs ® 12:47 01 May 05

I too suffer Power Options troubles,if I opt to put the PC into "Hibernation" it wont reboot without several tries.If I ask it to turn off the monitor after xy mins,9 times out of 10 it wont go to standby until I reset the timer to another figure.If I ask it to Turn Off HDD after xy,the PC crashes as soon as I try to use it.I have had it working fine whatever option I selected(previous installs)but this one seems full of bugs.As my SATA hdd's are often "Not Detected" when booting from cold,I rarely turn the PC off,so Power Management is fairly important on my PC,but as the hardware has its own "Power Switch" I just press the button before I go to bed. :-)

Number 7 15:04 01 May 05

Have a look here click here

GRFT 08:33 02 May 05

Thannks Chegs. I follwed the instructions in the article and deleted the only scheme that was listed (which I had never created in the first place.) Now it's even worse: all the fields necessary to create another scheme ar now grayed out, so I can't do anything. I'm beginning to rue the day I "upgraded" to XP.

GRFT 08:35 02 May 05

Sorry Number 7. thanks to you for providing the link.

Number 7 18:26 02 May 05

To have access to all the options in Power Managment you must be logged on as an Administrator- a User account gives access to a limited number of options.

I've had another look around and there are plenty of people having trouble with xp's Power Management Options.

I can't find one fix that works for everyone.

The fixes range from a new driver for a piece of hardware, to a BIOS update.

Can you use System Restore to roll back to just before you made the change to the power options?

If the System Restore doesn't do it then have a read through this, it gives info about setting the default power options in the registry.

click here

Another reason for being unable to use the power options at click here

GRFT 09:13 03 May 05

Thanks, Number 7. I did a restore and although all the power schemes are now available the response is still the same trying to save one. In fact I was surprised the restore worked at all; I'm having so many problems I was sure there would be additional ones at the end of it. I'll now try the registry settings (something I'm not very familiar with) and see what happens.

GRFT 07:28 04 May 05

Well, I made the registry adjustments OK, and checked two or three times just to be sure, but the result was just as bad if not worse: no power schemes available and the other options in the properties dialog box grayed out.

I reinstalled XP and did the registry check again but no difference.

I then checked with the Microsoft site for XP updates but there were "no updates available." But I had already had the system scanned by Microsoft some days ago and was told there were "no problems."

I'm just about beat.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017