XP + Photoshop

Retexa 09:21 15 Sep 05

Hello
I'm a first-time user and my problem is with running Photoshop CS on my new XP Professional with service pack 2 set-up. Photoshop crashes after an approximate initial use of 10 mins and, when rebooted crashes every few minutes, or seconds. I do a lot of digital imaging, am I overloading something?
Retexa

De Marcus™ 10:32 15 Sep 05

Please supply us with your system specifications.

Also have you installed any plugins recently?

Is your paging file set correctly?

Are there any error messages when the program crashes?

Retexa 10:30 16 Sep 05

De Marcus
Thank you for your reply.Sorry for delay in replying but I (a greenhorn) have been searching for information on Page Files and attempting to understand them.
My system specifications:
Processor - AMD Duron (tm)
Disk C - 55.8GB with 36.0GB free space
Disk F - 2.38GB " 2.16GB " "
RAM (Combined?) - 768MB
I know nothing about Paging File settings but Total paging File size - 1152MB
Paging File is on same disk as operating system files. (I believe they should be on separate disks but am not sure how to change them)

Error messages: After automatic reboot and in response to "The system has recovered from a serious error" I am told that the error was caused by a device driver and the affected files were:
~~~~727b.diroo\mini091505-01.dmp &
" " \sysdata.xml
Once again, many thanks
Reflexa

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:41 16 Sep 05

For a "greenhorn" thats pretty good information.

You have plenty of memory and disc space for your applications so no problems there perheps a repair of XP may help. there are two methods try this one first (you will not lose any data or files)

Repair XP by replacing corrupt files
Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

PA28 14:45 16 Sep 05

Check memory secure in slots after trying Fruit Bat /\0/\ suggestion.

De Marcus™ 15:09 16 Sep 05

Also try looking in device manager for any inproperly installed hardware, you'll see this by a yellow exclamation mark or red cross next to it. To get to device manager you need to 'right-click' on the my computer icon and select properties, from the new box that comes up choose the hardware tab, then click on device manager.

Retexa 21:03 20 Sep 05

Thanks to all who have given advice:
De Marcus - device manager showed no yellow exclamation marks and only two red crosses THROUGH not to one side of icons for Netgear FA311 and Soundblaster. I assume that this is not what you meant.

Fruit Bat /\o/\ - Took your advice to try sfc/scannow. It found 165 faults but would only remedy a few on the trial version so I invested £30 for the full version and cleaned up the registry. Photoshop runs longer before crashing, so some improvement.

PA28 - Checked memory and found no wobbles.

PA28 10:04 21 Sep 05

Not sure what you mean by sfc only remedying a few faults on the trial version. This is integral to XP - there is no "trial version"?

If you buy this months' PC-Pro there is a free version of RegEdit 4 on the cover disk. I have found this to be a very effective registry cleaner, so may be worth a go. However, as Fruit Bat /\0/\ has advised, your system files must be there and uncorrupted - the XP Scannow (with the XP disk to hand) is the best way to correct these. RegEdit can only identify and correct broken and corrupted links - and clean up surplus garbage. Suggest that you run this again and get a clean sheet from it before going further.

PA28 10:37 21 Sep 05

Sorry - that should be Registry Mechanic4 (not RegEdit4 - don't know what I was thinking about!). It's on the new PC-Pro which is dated November 2005 (!!). I'll be having my summer holiday in February by their calendar.

Retexa 21:07 26 Sep 05

PA28
Thanks for advice I have done as you suggested and got a clean bill of health. I tried PS and got up to about 10 adjustment layers without a crash but have no time now to investigate further. I am off on holiday tomorrow and I'm going to forget all about PS problems until I get back.
Retaxa

PA28 17:52 02 Oct 05

10 Adjustment layers on a medium size image is an awful lot of memory requirement. You might need to increase your present 768 (not all of which is available to Photoshop) - or you could look a bit further into the size of the scratch disk that you ar allowing Photoshop to use (you will find this in the Photoshop settings).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…